Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We Live in the Desert

There are strange things about the desert. I've heard or read about them. One of the things is size--it seems that in order to adapt to the harsh conditions of the desert, things are either very small or very big. Nope, the picture below is not a tree. It is a yucca plant--a thrity or so foot tall yucca plant. Have you ever seen something like that? I hadn't until I moved here. It's really crazy! Another strange thing are the trees. It was strange how they didn't even start changing color until December. They started losing their leaves in January. Now, they are budding! There are trees (pictured below) that have a few dead leaves hanging on (that only change color a month or two ago) that also have new buds on them already! After coming here from having lived in Utah my whole life, it is indeed a strange sight to see.

4 comments:

Jess said...

That tree is amazing! 30 feet? And it is fun that there are buds on the tree already. I don't think we even have that here yet!

Curtis & Elise said...

Wow, that's crazy. So are you past the "coldest" part of the winter already? I don't know why else the trees would be starting to bud already.

Growing Up Skye said...

Yeah, probably. The coldest it has ever got here was around Christmas time when the high was in the fifties. This has definitely been the best winter of my life!

Cookie said...

I wonder if the trees will be in full bloom by the time I come down there?! Wouldn't surprise me a bit!