Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fun on the Fourth

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend! I know it was last Friday and I really wanted to post all about what we did, but I was waiting for some pictures, so I'm just getting this on a little late. We had a great weekend. Lance had a job interview in Salt Lake on the third so we celebrated the fourth with my family in Kaysville. We were able to do some other fun things as well, before Lance had to leave on a business trip to Boston. The morning started out with Skye playing on my dad's lap. She loves to play with his hat.
She will often say, "hat, hat" as she walks over to the back door where it hangs. Sometimes, she just wants to play with it and sometimes she wants to go find Grandpa and give it to him.
Kaysville's parade came right in front of my parent's house this year. We set up a blanket and some chairs across the street in some shade at the elementary school. Here is Skye eating some cheerios while waiting for the parade to start.
Here's my mom and Skye as some military trucks approach. I think Skye actually had more fun watching all of the other people, children, and dogs than the actual parade. The sirens from the fire trucks scared her a lot at first, but eventually she got used to them.

One of my favorite parts of the parade was the VW convention that went by. There were tons of them!


A line of VW Bugs driving up.
Skye loves animals so she really enjoyed seeing the horses ride by.
I stole these pictures from my parent's next door neighbors. The parade ended with a massive water fight. Their neighbors, Steve and his daughter, Laura, decided to fight back!
They used hoses to spray the people in the parade that were spraying people watching the parade. Does that make sense?!
Look at all that water that truck was spraying out! What a fun way to end the parade. Of course, I was inside and out of harms way by then!
On Wednesday, July 3, some of Lance's friends invited us to come to a Real Salt Lake Soccer game at the U of U. I'm not a soccer fan, but I went anyway and I'm glad I did. We sat by Lance's friend, Dave, and we had a lot of fun. The game was fun and interesting to watch and so were the crazy fans! There were jersies being worn, flags being waved, yelling, screaming, trash and smoke bombs being thrown onto the field, and fans being kicked out of the stadium! There were also some great fireworks afterwards. Too bad I forgot my camera, huh? So I just stole some of these RSL pictures from the internet instead!
While I did like the game a lot, it was unfortunate that I never got to see a goal scored. RSL played Houston that night--both teams tied for second, the winner taking the first spot. So I guess they were pretty evenly matched and the game ended 0 to 0.
On Saturday, Lance and I headed up to Big Cottonwood Canyon to meet his friends, Dave and Bus, to go climbing. Some of these pictures were taken by me and some were taken by Dave. Look at that beautiful view.
More beautiful views from the crag we were climbing at...

So we had quite an adventure climbing that day. To get to the climbing wall, we had a long hike up this super, super steep cliff full of crazy little switchbacks (Dave called it switchback hell) and slippery talus fields. It was scary and exhausting, yet exhilearting in a way. It was definitely worth it when we made it to the top. Unfortunately, I was so exhausted by the time we got there, I only had enough energy to do one climb. But it was a lot of fun!
Here's Lance hanging out on a little ledge on one of the climbs.
Bus climbing.
Lance took these pictures of me with the incredible view behind me.

The next two pictures are of Dave on one of the climbs.

Can you see that cliff wall--the rocks up above the trees? That's where we were! Crazy! The hike down was even worse than the hike up. Hiking down the talus was not fun at all and I've got the scrapes and bruises to prove it! But once again, it was so worth it!
Dave took this picture of Bus, Lance, and me walking back to our cars after our adventure!









1 comment:

Jess said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! That is so cute about Skye and your dad's hat. :)
My dad was wondering what language Lance programs in. There are some jobs for programmers at my Dad's work, L3.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Maybe we should set a day, since my brain has kind of gone to mush lately. :)